The new version of the Senator Tourbillon is presented in a 42 mm white gold case framing a light, silver-grained dial whose finely textured surface sets off the black laserengraved indexes and railroad chapter ring clearly. This exclusive timepiece confirms its uniqueness in a manner as discreet as it is elegant: The Roman “index” at 1 o’clock reveals the individual numbering of the limited edition. A black Louisiana alligator leather strap with white gold foldover clasp assures a secure and stylish presence on the wrist. Ticking within the watch is the manufactory Calibre 94-03 movement with 48-hour power reserve.
Additional classic features of the Saxon art of watchmaking can be seen through the sapphire crystal case back, including the Glashütte stripe finish, blued screws and the two tone galvanized skeletonized rotor.
The Senator Tourbillon – Edition Alfred Helwig presents not one, but two classic Glashütte complications. The Panorama Date, positioned below 12 o’clock, celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. Since 1997 Glashütte Original has used two date discs arranged concentrically on the same level to ensure that one can read the date easily without a central separation bar.
In the Senator Tourbillon one encounters a further child whose origins lie in Glashütte: The Flying Tourbillon was developed almost 100 years ago by Alfred Helwig. Following the reorientation of the Saxon watchmaker, in 1995 it was chosen for good reason as the first complication to take up the traditions of its home town.
The new model carries the name of the inventor of the Flying Tourbillon, the master watchmaker Alfred Helwig. Born in the region of Niederlausitz, Alfred Helwig graduated with honours in 1905, having completed his training at the German Watchmaking School Glashütte, where he remained a loyal teacher for more than forty years. Given his work and writings, he is considered one of the most important figures in the history of Glashütte watchmaking – and yet it is his invention of the Flying Tourbillon from 1920 that has secured him his place in the international annals of haute horlogerie. Today his name graces the Glashütte Original watchmaking school, located in the same building where he once worked and taught, educating the future of the Glashütte art of watchmaking.